Re: Did A-Bomb exposure lead to better survival ?

>From:	SMTP%"radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" 24-JAN-1996 03:43:52.35
>From: John Goldsmith <gjohn@bgumail.bgu.ac.il>
>
>	In searching for good news to tell the public, John Cameron must
have been pretty careful not to read all the news.  ...

>                                   Relative Risks
>                                    at 2 Gy        Excess Deaths/Gy
>                                                 per 10,000 per-yr
>
>Non-malignant Dis.
>Total                           1.06 (1.02, 1.09)    1.18 (0.51,1.19)
> Under 40 ATB, Obs. 1966-85     1.19 (1.10, 1.29)    1.69 (0.90,2.62)
>
>Cancer       Total              1.78 (1.64,1.92)    10.00 ( 8.36,11.8)

	In defense of Dr Cameron, the above data is for doses (as I read
	the post,) slightly less than 50% lethal dose. Even at that level,
	the effects are barely high enough to emerge from background.

	Scaled down to typical doses the public gets from medical and other
	man-made sources, even without some alteration to the curve due
	to cellular repair mechanisms, this is good news.

Frank R. Borger - Physicist     ___      "I think medical research would show
Michael Reese - U of Chicago   |___       that being a Cubs fan lengthens
Center for Radiation Therapy   | |_) _    your life. Or maybe it just _seems_
net: Frank@rover.uchicago.edu    | \|_)   longer. " - Mike Royko
ph: 312-791-8075 fa: 791-2517       |_)