Re: tracerlab? -Reply

>>Does anyone have a current addressa nd phone for TracerLab (formerly
>>of Boston/Waltham, MA)?
>
>John, I believe Tracerlab has been consigned to the dustbin of
>history. I think their sole surviving descendent goes by the name TGM
>Detectors Inc. (compare the stylized "T" on the Tracerlab and TGM
>logos). TGMs number is (617) 890 2090.

Another subscriber pointed me towards Nuclear Research corp in PA, who ate
the little bit of racerlab called Radiac.  One of their older HPs (with some
corporate history) is looking into the activity issue for me.

>>On a related note, does anyone know the activity of the Sr-90 check
>>sources Tracerlab used in their Model SU-10 Radiac ratemeters?
>
>I couldn't find any data on this instrument to speak of. Certainly
>nothing to indicate it even had a Sr-90 source. But the Sr-90 check
>sources I have seen in instruments of the SU-10s vintage range from 1
>to 4 uCi.

You know those pesky state regulators.  Always wanting to know to the
nearest couple factors of ten.

There is a knob on SU-10s labelled "Check Source".  One twists the knob, and
the geometry becomes such that a moderate beta would get a response from the
GM tube (if one had the rght kind of batteries).  In addition, when one
opens the instrument, the shaft attached to the knob has a brass "foot"
labelled in magenta and yellow "radioactive" and "Sr90SO4" which one might
take to mean strontium-90 sulfate.  I have very little doubt that these
units have check sources, based on this.

Thanks.

John

*John DeLaHunt, EH&S      * 1125 Glen Avenue          *
*The Colorado College     * Colorado Springs, CO 80905*
*jdelahunt@cc.colorado.edu* VOX:  (719)389-6678       *
*        Owner:           * FAX:  (719)635-3177       *
*hazmat-l@cc.colorado.edu *                           *
***********This message is hereby disclaimed***********