Re: X-ray crystalography

>>Martin, E.B.M., "A Guide to the Safe Use of X-Ray Diffraction and
>>Spectrometry Equipment"  Occupational Hygeine Monograph No.8, 1983.

>>You should be able to get a copy from Science Reviews Ltd, c/o 28 High Ash
>>Drive, Leeds LS17 8RA, UK.

An EXCELLENT reference - I find I agree with everything the author says -
except one point - ie. that experienced user can be given more latitude.  My
position is that they have accidents too - just different kinds/causes.  My
pet name for the root cause of accidents in the experienced user is
"attitude accumulation".  This is what happens when for various reasons in
the users experience he has first "bent" the rules a bit and eventually
broken them and always gotten away with no problem ...... that time!  Thus
an attitude of indifference or complancency "accumulates" to the point where
an accident become inevitable.

I am a firm believer in enclosing ALL analytical machines and have
instituted that policy here at LBL.  With 25 active machines we have not had
even a near miss incident since 1977!!!  So with the statistical probability
of 1 accident per 100 unit years ..... we are quite a few accidents behind.

And for those of you aware of the 1977 accident .... that was before the
controls and THE event which allowed me to prescribe what I felt was
prudent. - kinda like getting a stop sign at an intersection only after a
kid gets killed!

To the end of such hardware control (I bet you didn't think I had any point
I was getting to) there is another document in this same monograph series I
also highly recommend as a guide in innovative protection and enclosure
techniques.

Monograph  No. 15

"A guide to Radiation Protection in the Use of X-Ray Optics Equipment"

ISSN 0141-7568
ISBN 0-906927-52-4

ANYONE with analytical x-ray machines - even just one - should have BOTH
books in there library!

Ted de Castro
tdc@ehssun.lbl.gov
University of California Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory
Bldg B75B Rm 101
Berkeley, CA 94720
(510) 486-5256
(510) 486-7304 - FAX