Re: NRPB (UK) Static E-field standard

My answers to the following questions are:

> Is the NRPB (UK) on line?
No.   They are at present considering whether  to go on line with
limited information.
If anyone needs to contact them the telephone and fax numbers are:
   tel:    UK  01235 - 831600
   fax:   UK  01235 - 833891

> I'm trying to find out whether their 1993 static E-field standard of 25
kV/m is a ceiling or whether there is time averaging.
> I think it's a "not to exceed", but the doc is not explicit.

Reference: Documents of the NRPB, Volume 4 No 5 1993.   Board
Statement on Restrictions on Human Exposure to Static and Time
Varying Electromagnetic Fields and Radiation.  isbn 0-85951-366-1.
para 126 "The annoying perception of surface electric charge should
be avoided. For most people this will not occur during exposure to
static field strengths of less than 25 kV/m."

para 141 "For static fields, the investigation level is set at 25 kV/m
and is based on avoiding the effects of electric charge on the surface
of the body"

The basic restrictions on exposure to electric and magetic fields in
the frequency range are given in Table 1.   At 0 - 1 Hz the basic
restriction for E is  100 mA/sq m.     Investigation levels (eg for static
E - 25 kV/m) are not limits.  If values are greater than the investigation
level, then this is a prompt for assessing whether there is compliance
with the basic restriction.   The 25 kV/m value is direct read wth no
time weighting.

Regards.

                 Gus Zabierek
             Health & Safety Adviser/RPA