Re: conversions

>Ian Fraser ... wrote:
>

>        1 Bq= 1distingration per second
>
>        This will however change when Canada moves to metric time

Hi,
Will this mean also change of the definition of quantity named activity?  As
far as I am concerned, I believe that using the word "disintegration" for
defining (radio)activity is not sufficient.

This is because there is more to it.  (Radio)activity, in my books, is the
quantity that gives a number of radioactive transformations which take place
in a source of ionizing radiation per unit time.

In this sense the radioactive transformations of nuclides may be a decay
(alpha, beta, electron capture), an internal conversion of gamma rays, a
spontanenous fission, a neutron emission, an isomeric transition, etc., and
because some of these transformations are not truly disintegrations of nuclei.

Then the unit of activity, named Bq, would indeed represent one radioactive
transformation per second.

(But wait, I'm not a native English speaking person...8^), and this is my
only one-penny on the table.)

Regards,
  Miroslav

  Miroslav Lieskovsky                  Health Physics Department
  e-mail bus: mirolies@nbnet.nb.ca            Point Lepreau G.S.
  Phone  bus: (506) 659 6599 ext. 7421       New Brunswick Power
  Fax    bus: (506) 659 2003                       Lepreau, N.B.
  e-mail res: miroslav@mi.net                    Canada, E0G 2H0

  PS. Opinions expressed are mine only and standard disclaimers
      apply...