science without sense.

Free Spirit wrote:

       " I loved the statistical association showing that "Wearing a
brassiere
        all day and breast cancer" showed a whopping relative risk of
12,500.

        Then I caught it. As long as your control group is those who DON'T
        wear a brassire all day, they're mostly MEN! Great example of
stacking
        the deck snuck into the data!!!"

True....I can see a firm basis for that statistical correlation.  But things
tend to 'balance out' in life, we mustn't forget.

I understand that "wearing a brassiere all day" is associated with
a relative risk = 0.0001 for testicular cancer.
That is, it's PROTECTIVE, with a very high level of statistical
significance.

A case of yin-yang balance, as it were?

E.S. Lamothe
lamothee@crl.aecl.ca