Re: Proposed rule re: unathorized use

On Mon, 5 Feb 1996, John DeLaHunt wrote:

> After much wailing and gnashing of teeth, I think I've dug up the article to
> which Todd Jackson had made reference.
>
> I've included the summary, b/c it's small, and on-topic.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> John

That did not work either.

Since everyone has been holding their breath on this one, and since I just
printed a copy hot off the WWW, I thought I would type out the summary
for RADSAFE:

 SUMMARY OF PROPOSED RULE:

Reporting Requirements for Unauthorized Use of Licensed Radioactive Material.

The NRC is proposing to add a new requirement for licensees to notify the
NRC Operations Center within 24 hours of discovering an intentional or
allegedly intentional diversion of licensed radioactive material from its
intended or authorized use.  The proposed rule would also require
licensees to notify the NRC when they are unable, within 48 hours of
discovery of the event, to rule out that the use was intentional. The
proposed rule would require reporting of events that would cause, or have
potential to cause, an exposure of individuals whether or not the exposure
exceeds the regulatory limits.
Comments to be submitted by March 1, 1996.

The rest of the document (background, discussion, etc) is rather lengthy.
I hope that helps .

Ninni Jacob
Radiation Safety Officer
University of Rhode Island/