Re: Consequences of Chernobyl in Belaru

You wrote:

>This could mean that the NRC and FEMA should rethink the current 10
>mile EPZ for exposure around our nuclear power plants. Or not, based
>on our belief that our power plants have containments, and Cernobyl
>had a Butler Building.

>     Regards

>     R.R.Goodwin

Comparing Cernobyl to our nuclear power plants (power generating PWRs
and BWRs that NRC has jurisdiction over) is like comparing a Stealth
Bomber to a Curtis Bi-Plane. Both are airplanes. However, that is about
where the similarity ends. The two reactor systems rely on fission and
both have installed safety systems. But they were not constructed to
the same standards nor is their design similar enough to make a
comparison. TMI, amidst all of the operational errors, demonstrated
above all else the safety of light water reactors. Core destruction was
beyond all expectations, yet how much was released?

Don't get me wrong, I am not against design criteria, safety systems,
quality control, training and all the other things that go into
constructing and operating a reactor system. I just think it is a bad
comparison. For yourself as a regulator, it may actually be a little
self-serving rather than based on fact.

Edwin L. Wright, CHP
elw1@ix.netcom.com