Subject: Cats at San Onofre
Author:  radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu at Internet
Date:    2/9/96 4:12 PM

     Joel write:

<    I've  been  hearing reference(s) to radioactive cats at San Onofre
<    Generation Station.  What gives??
<
<    Joel Baumbaugh (baumbaug@nosc.mil)
<    NRaD

     HISTORY

     On January 31st of this year, an adult cat was captured in our Owner
     Controlled Area outside our Restricted Area.  Our practice is to
     relocate any captured animal to a suitable environment.  In this case,
     the cat was relocated away from the plant to a remote location
     elsewhere on San Onofre property.

     On February 1st, four young kittens were heard "meowing" between the old
     and new Unit 1 Administration Buildings.  Unit 1 was retired
     in 1992 after 27 years of service and is no longer operating.  As the
     kittens were being taken from the Restricted Area through the Security
     Processing Facility, the exit portal monitors alarmed.

     ACTIVITY

     When found, each kitten measured about 6000 cpm with a standard frisker.
     After a warm bath and shampooing the levels dropped to about 1000 cpm.
     Radioassay by a HpGe showed that 98% of the activity was from
     cesium-137, about 1% from cesium-134 and a smaller percentage from
     cobalt-60.  Activity measured with a SAM-9 on Feb 2nd indicated 1000
     nCi.  The effective half life appears to be 6 days (they averaged 550
     nCi yesterday).  The kittens are about 3 weeks old and require bottle
     feeding.  They are being cared for by site employees and have been
     nicknamed Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Neutron.  All appear to be contented
     and are gaining weight.

     After the discovery of the kittens, an effort was made to learn more
     about the cat that had been relocated the previous day.  Trace levels of
     contamination (2.4 nCi) were found in bedding material used to transport
     the cat.

     RESPONSE TO THE DISCOVERY

     There has been substantial media attention regarding the kittens
     including newspapers and TV, both nationally and internationally.

     The site's response to this discovery has included voluntary reports to
     Nuclear Regulatory Commission and additional emphasis on controlling the
     animal population on site property.

     I'd be interested to hear from any RADSAFER's who have had similar
     experiences and efforts taken as a result.

                              Scott Medling, CHP
                              Manger, Regulatory Projects
                              San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station
                              medlines@songs.sce.com