-Bruce Busby

From: Janine Katanic <katanic@ENGR.ORST.EDU>

1. How many food irradiation facilities are there in the US?
(Does this include mobile irradiators and on-board ship
irradiators and military irradiators?)

2. Does the US import food that has been irradiated? What
standards, if  any does it have to meet? How do they know if
food has or has not been  irradiated?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
My information is several years old, but here goes.  As of
several years ago there was just one irradiatior dedicated to
food irradiation, the Vindicator irradiator in Mulbury, Florida,
licensed by the state of Florida.  other irradiatiors might
occasionally irradiate small batches of food like spices.

The FDA sets the requirements for irradiation of food.
Imported food would also have to meet the requirements.
One of the requirements is that the food must be labeled as
having been irradiated.  I have never seen any food thus
labeled in my supermarket.  Of course, irradiated food could
be imported without anyone's being told.