Envirocare Sues City of Golden

Reported in the Golden Transcript [local twice weekly paper]
was a suit by Envirocare of Utah against the City of Golden,
Colorado.  Envirocare alledges that the City's disposal of
several tons of soil mildly contaminated with primarily mill talings
from the now defunct, Colorado School of Mines Research Institute is
hazardous.  BTW it is the Research Institute not the School that is
defunct.  Envirocare alledged it is strictly concerned over the health
of the citizens of Colorado.  Envirocare bid on the disposal but the
EPA and State Health Department approved an alternative proposal do dis
pose of the material in a nonregulated land fill as it does not meet the
definition of "radioactive" or possibly "hazardous" waste.  As I recall
the cost of the Envirocare disposal, including shipping was ~$6M and
the alternate is about half that.  The disposal is being funded by
the EPA but cost should be recovered through Superfund Procedures.

I do not have any details about the composition or exact nature of the
waste, it is after all, a local newspaper, and it is usually difficult
to find such things in a bigger daily.

I thought it might be of interest to some of you that somebody might
sue to get waste.

Disclaimer-  Any opinions are my own and do not reflect those of
the Denver VA Medical Center, The Dept. of Veterans Affairs, or the
U.S. Government.

Peter G. Vernig, VA Medical Center, Denver, vernig.peter@forum.va.gov