Re[2]: Consequences of Chernobyl in Belaru -Reply

     Okay,

     I'm sorry I said it.  I was trying to interject some very serious
     sarcasm into the discussion of Chernobyl and the health effects
     thereof.  As an ex-E-Planner for several nuclear utilities, I have
     always felt that the utilities and states do themselves a great
     disservice by eliminating any major planning efforts at the ten mile
     ring.  Granted, the possibility of a Chernobyl type event happening at
     a US power plant is in the E-6 risk category, however, I still feel
     that as also an ex-utility person (I now work for a State Bureau of
     Radiation Protection) we, the nuclear community, should be better
     prepared for this type of disaster.

     I will not cite any particular power facility, however, I have worked
     at more then one where a terrorist, with a well placed missile (like
     the TOW missile) or two could create a weakness or failure of a
     containment.  Add this to the chance of also causing failures of
     safety systems, and Chernobyl could happen in any number of sites.  (I
     base the terrorist scenario on the number of plants built in a
     depression such as a shallow valley with hills around, or on the
     plains and flatlands such as the gulf coastal plains, the Atlantic or
     PAcific tidewater plains or the plains of central US.

     I am sorry that I said that the NRC and FEMA should consider enlarging
     the EPZ.  I am aware of NUREG 0396 and its requirements and 10CFR50
     App E and its requirements, and I promise never to be sarcastic over
     RADSAFE again.  I did not realize that Melissa also had established a
     rule about humor.

     Regards,
     R.R.Goodwin
     Ronald_Goodwin@Health.Ohio.Gov