Drano

Ben:  We've have good luck with a healthy shot of crylstalline NaOH-based
drain cleaner (e.g. Drano) in both the sink and shower drains in the rooms
after I-131 ablations.  It has typically reduced the external exposure
rates from the steel sink traps by a factor of 4-10, and at the floor
drain by 2-3.  PRE-treating with Drano and then applying the KI solution
would probably be even better.

As for the toilet, we drape numerous overlapping layers of
restaurant-width plastic film (Saran Wrap) from the floor, over the bowl
edges, and down to past the waterline.  The stuff is sticky enough to
withstand flushing without being taken down the drain, and decon is as
simple as unwrapping a gift (well, um, sort of... :-)

-Tom

Tom Schumacher
Radiation Safety Officer
VA Medical Center (001-S)