Facts on Tritium

Here at Brookhaven National Lab, we're in a bit of a "battle for the truth"
with some local activist groups who are filling the local community with
half-truths and outright lies about BNL and the health effects of radiation
in general.  I was hoping some of the folks out there might have direct
knowledge of some of the "incidents" that one of these groups is talking
about in their so-called fact sheets.

1.  They make reference to a March 1981 action by the Reagan administration
that allowed the NRC to "relax standards with regard to releases of
radioactivity and toxins.  They could now be discharged into our waters and
air in much greater quantities".  I know this is a distortion, but what
action do you think they could be referring to?   I work closely enough with
rad NESHAPs to know what current policy is today, but I'm not familiar
enough with NRC regulatory history to debunk this.

2.  Ever heard of a company by the name of "American Atomics" of Tuscon
Arizona?  The activist group cites an event I'm unfamiliar with.  Claim is
that in '79 this company was discharging tritium into the city sewage
system.  This was uncovered by the "Arizona Atomic Energy Commission" (was
there ever such an organization?).  Subsequent testing supposedly indicated
high H-3 concentrations in air, soil, and drinking water "around the plant".
Fantastic claims about the residents all showing positive for H-3 in
urinalysis, and gross contamination of vegetables, swimming pools and
everything else are made.  This may, in fact, be based on actual events
which have been garbled beyond recognition.  Truth is??

Any help on these "facts" would be appreciated.

*****Please send responses directly to me at******
schroede@mail.sep.bnl.gov.

Thanks much.
Gary L. Schroeder