Re: I-131 MCA Patient Room Decon

Although, I was just told that some of my crew use Comet on toilets<eyes roll>,
I also recommend against oxidizing bleach.  Several years ago we
had a patient do a very thorough job of contaminating the bathroom
floor.  It was hot enough that I decided to do the intial clean up
myself.  I put down a solution of cold KI ans sodium bisulfite, then
proceded to attack the floor with Comet.  The resulting reaction
labeled the tile floors and turned them a dark yellow-brown.  It
took me two weeks to get that floor clean.  I also used to be a chemist,
but I didn't even think about it before the bad experience.

Dale
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu