Re: I-131 MCA Patient Room Decon

We use lots of plastic backed absorbant paper to cover the bed, pillow,
floor, furniture.

We cover rails, telephone, door knobs, tec. with saran wrap.

We drape the inside of the toilet with a trash bag that has the bottom cut
out of it and have the patient flush the toilet at least 3 times. We also
line the inside of the sink with plastic trash bags.

The patient is instructed to drink copious amounts of water ( to increase the
clearance rate)

The patient also wears very thin photographers gloves at all times.

For almost all cases except for a very  few (one where we think the patient
urinated in the shower) the room is released for routine use within several
hours after discharge.

Franz St. George
Sacred Heart Medical Center
Eugene, OR