Re: Decon of Toilets - I-131

It is actually much more hazardous to mix chlorine bleach with
anything acidic.  This can lead to lethal releases of chlorine.
Common bathroom cleaning supplies such as Shower Power and Lime
Away are quite acidic and completely incompatible with other
bathroom cleaners like Tylex which concentrated chlorine bleach.
Sodium hypochlorite (bleach) can actually be made by bubbling
chlorine gas through NaOH.

I have also heard that mixing NaOH (or bleach) and ammonia causes
fumes.  I presume this is NH3 being released due to the lower pH
of the NaOH or bleach than conc. ammonium hydroxide.  Anyone
know the scoop for sure on this one?

Let'd be careful out there.

Dale Boyce
dale@radpro.uchicago.edu