Re: I-131

We allow the patient to shower as often as they want to.  We tell them they
should shower just prior to leaving the hospital.  They are instructed to
let the shower run for at least 30-40 sec. after the shower to rinse the
stall.  Contamination of the shower stall has not been a problem.  Only
twice have we found removable contamination greater than 200 dpm.  The bar
of soap they leave behind is "hot".

At 07:41 PM 2/13/96 -0600, you wrote:
>While on the subject of I-131,  is the patient at your facility encouraged
>to shower frequently  or  asked to refrain from showering?
>
>Do you find contamination in the shower area?
>
>Hans Richter
>USC  go Trojans
>hrichter@engr-serv.usc.edu
>(213) 342-2219
>Standard Disclaimer:  Opinions are mine,
>         my employer did not review this

--------
Sim Shanks, RSO		        		shankss@odrge.odr.georgetown.edu
Georgetown University					(202) 687-4712
Office of Environmental Health and Safety	fax 	(202) 687-5046
3900 Reservoir Road,  N.W.
Washington DC  20007