Re: Medical and/or University Bioassay Programs

To Kate and other interested RADSAFERS

About 3 years ago, Dr. Merv. Billinghurst and I received funding under the AECB
Research program to conduct a national (Canadian) study of Tc-99m internal
contamination in nuclear medicine workers.  The purpose of this project is to,
for each worker, determine the frequency and magnitude of internal
contamination, correlate the intake(s) with the types of handling procedures
performed and estimate the associated internal radiation dose(s).

We spent the first year of the project obtaining and evaluating various
detection instruments that might be suitable, designing the measurement protocol
and data collection tools and building shielded counting jigs.  We purchased  5
identical counting systems.  We are in the currently in the final phase of
gathering Tc-99m bioassay measurements on nuclear medicine and radiopharmacy
workers in 19 different hospitals across Canada (14 NM departments have
completed their measurements to date).  During each phase, bioassay measurements
are performed daily over a 6 month period on all NM and RP workers handling
radionuclides in 5 hospitals.  By the time the in-vivo measurements completed by
mid-July of this year, we will have accumulated a considearable amount of data
on 150+  workers distributed coast-to-coast across Canada.

At the 1995 CRSO meeting in Los Angeles, I presented the results of our
evaluation of the instrumentation and some preliminary results from the first 9
participating nuclear medicine facilities.  I plan to present the final project
results at the June 1997 joint CRPA/CRSO meeting in Victoria, B.C..  Dr.
Billinghurst and I also intend to submit the results of this research project to
an appropriate professional journal, most likely Health Physics.

We anticipate that the final results of this research project will be of
considerable interest to nuclear medicine workers, RSOs, medical institutions
and regulators in Canada and elsewhere.  Stay tuned.

Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Office 		voice 	(204) 787-2903
GC-214, Health Sciences Centre		fax	(204) 787-1313
Winnipeg, Manitoba			e-mail	 KGordon@cc.umanitoba.ca
Canada R2M 0R9