Re: Interstate commerce

On a related topic,

The Feds can however withhold federal highway funds from the states if they
do not follow certain guidelines such as for example the case with the CMVSA
and the issuance of CDLs (Commerical Drivers Licences).  A commercial motor
vehicle (CMV) is defined as ANY vehicle carrying placarded quantities of
Hazardous Materials. Thus Yellow III labels = Placards = Commercial Motor
Vehicle = Defacto compliance with US DOT regs or risk losing Fed monies.

Reference: 49CFR384 and FR 18MAY1994 (DOT/FHWA), et al.

Jeff Pettigrew
jpettigrew@halnet.com

At 05:23 PM 2/14/96 -0600, you wrote:
>>Oddly enough, this was the part that was unclear.  I have heard
>>interpretations ranging from "crossing a state line" to "driving on a US
>>Interstate" to "driving on a US Highway" to "crossing a US Highway."
>>
>"Interstate" is the crucial word here. An activity that occurs entirely
>within the borders of a single state cannot be regulated by the Federal
>government, even if the activity takes place on Federal or Interstate
>highways (that's why the State Police are out there!). If the activity
>involves actions in 2 or more states, then the Feds have jurisdiction.
>Bob Flood
>Unless otherwise noted, all opinions are mine alone.
>(415) 926-3793
>bflood@slac.stanford.edu

 Jeffrey S Pettigrew                    Voice: 713.496.8319
 Radiation Safety Officer                 Fax: 713.496.8394
 Halliburton Energy Services
 PO Box 42800
 Houston, TX 77242-8042                   jpettigrew@halnet.com
or
                               esg.gvrz301@mhs-halco.attmail.com

 123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678