Re: Radon, Powerlines and Cancer

>To: RADSAFE --INTERNET radsafe@romulus.eh
>
>*** Reply to note of 02/15/96 16:36
>
>This is following a similar pattern to cold fusion.  Public announcements,
> complete details not available.  Some of the problems here are this paper
> says the radon powerline effect is E field ONLY.   The suggested ELF cancer
> "evidence" is H field ONLY.  Daaa!

Yes but the evidence is pretty tenuous at best (as you recognise with your
""). There is no plausible model for ELF H fields causing or promoting
cancer at field strengths commonly encountered around transmission lines.

These British chaps have come up with a new model for how HT lines can cause
cancer. Their "results" (meaning the stuff that was on their home page, most
of it has now been removed) show about a 4 or 5 fold increase in plateout of
Rn progeny on track etch detectors placed in contact with conductors at
mains potential. They theorise that this may indicate that HV lines cause an
increase in Rn progeny concentration in their vicinity and hence the
increase dose results in increase cancer.

I can not make the quantum leap between increased plateout on mains cables
indoors in still conditions and increased risk of cancer from living near HT
lines.

(Crikey its a long way down from up here on this horse!!) INCOMING!!

Regards

  Alex Zapantis
  Radiation Safety Officer
  Queensland University of Technology
  Health & Safety Section
  Locked Bag No.2                    Ph     : 61 7 3864 3566
  Red Hill Qld 4059                    fax     : 61 7 3864 3993
  AUSTRALIA                           Email  : a.zapantis@qut.edu.au

       "If I could remember the names of all those particles
        I would have become a botanist."
                                                            Enrico Fermi