Re: KI pills & the NCRP

          concerning the risk of KI usage, Muckerheide writes.

          "It's almost funny to quote NCRP, which has essentially zero
          medicine or health knowledge or expertise, is not even qualified
          as a public health function, in the face of an MD, and in the
          face of the pharmacological data and medical package insert
          documentation on SSKI."

          The working group for NCRP 55 was chaired by Eugene Saenger, MD,
          an internationally recognized expert on the medical effects of
          ionizing radiation.  The membership of the NCRP also includes
          physicians, toxicologists, epidemiologists, and other public
          health professionals.  It's also worth noting that the
          consultants to the working group for NCRP 55 included Dr. Jerome
          Halperin, President of the United States Pharmacopea.  The USP is
          essentially the best source of drug formulation and interaction
          information in the world.

          Further, Muckerheide writes:

          "Note also the irresponsibility of even considering the "idea" of
          wholesale distribution of such a prescription medicine by
          non-physicians with no medical traiining or supervision in the
          face of a total inability to consider the medical conditions of
          the individuals, and the inability to provide medical followup
          for the individuals (especially in the face lawsuits when the
          near certain cases of adverse effects would be filed on the
          "prescribers"). Talk about "practicing medicine without a
          license"!"

          Was there anything in my posting even remotely advocating this?
          No.  My purpose was simply to offer something quantitative as a
          supplement to the opinions expressed in an earlier posting.  I am
          deeply troubled by both the content and tone of Muckerheide's
          posting.  His comments lead me to question whether he has chosen
          to extend the LNT debate to a wholesale assault on the NCRP
          which, as noted by Slaback, has served the public and the
          radiation protection community well for several decades.

          George J. Vargo
          Pacific Northwest National Laboratory

          These comments do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my
          employer or the U.S. Department of Energy.