Food Irradiation

	It's me again. I still have a few lingering questions about food
irradiation, but more specific this time, so maybe that will help.

	1. The FDA says that one of two labels must be on irradiated food
		a. Treated with Radiation
		b. Treated by Irradiation.

	What's the real difference here, folks? Is it just that one might
be more pleasing to the ear than the other? (as my colleagues have
suggested?)  If you were an average consumer (and you certainly might be),
and there were two identical apples in front of you, one with the
"Treated with Radiation" and one with "Treated by Irradiation", which one
would you choose?

	2. In 1958, Congress classified the irradiation of food as an
additive. Since I can't find anything to negate this statement, I'm
assuming that this is still in effect. Am I right? If this is the case,
what are we "adding" anyway?

	Thanks for all of your help everyone.

	Janine Katanic
	katanic@flop.engr.orst.edu