Re: Effect of radiation on computers

     We have been placing PC terminals in radiation areas for years, areas
     that are much greater than background. In reality, ALL computers
     today, as they have been for the past 20 or 30 years, have been
     exposed to background ionizing radiation without any identified
     problems. If there have been, they haven't been well publicized.
     However, as I mentioned, we have been using the PCs in many of our
     radiation areas for years, as individual work stations and network
     stations. We have never had a problem, be it hardware or software.
     This also includes laptop computers.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company