Re[3]: Food Irradiation

The Eastern Idaho Chapter of the Health Physics Society had a dinner of
irradiated food last year at one of its meetings. It plans another this
year. If anyone would like to discover the nuts and bolts of how those
dinners were arranged, call Bob Skinner at 208-526-3516 or email
rsl2@inel.gov  The speaker at the first dinner was a member of management
of the food irradiation company in Florida. The food, by the way, was
excellent. I ate too much of everything. Al Tschaeche xat@inel.gov

*** Reply to note of 02/22/96 07:30
To: RADSAFE --INELMAIL RADSAFE

Subject: Re[3]: Food Irradiation
     Re[3] Food Irradiation

     Last I heard, the federal agency involved with the Food Irradiation
     issue was FDA, not EPA.  Similar comment applies, however!  Another
     commenter hit the key issue - the technology involved is more
     accurately a process than a "food additive."  Would there be as much
     public resistance if it were more generally known that irradiation is
     used to sterilize many types of disposable medical & surgical
     supplies, first aid products, etc?

     The Great Lakes Chapter, HPS sponsored a Symposium on food & other
     product irradiation several years ago that got some favorable local
     press coverage.  Perhaps it's time for another HPS chapter to take up
     the issue in this type format.