Urine as a Biohazard - Summary of Responses

Radsafers,

Thanks to all who responded.  There was some misunderstanding of my question
and my intended actions.  My main concern was the disposal requirements for
materials used to handle the closed urine sample containers.  Disposing of
the gloves and lab coats as a Biohazard seemed inappropriate and presented and
administrative burden.  During normal operations this protective equipment is
never in contact with the urine.  We will continue to use good hygiene
practices such as:
        gloves and labcoats,
        hand washing,
        no eating or drinking in the sample area, and
        frequent cleaning of the area.

The responses were evenly split between the biohazard and no biohazard camps.
However the 'no biohazard' respondents supplied regulatory references supporting
their opinion.  The two most common citations were 29CFR1910.1030 and a
document from the CDC.  In addition common sense examples were provided
including diaper disposal and posting requirements for bathrooms.

29CFR1910.1030 discusses the controls needed for bloodborne pathogens(HIV and
Hepatitis B) which may be present in "blood or other potentially infectious
materials"  In the definitions sections "other potentially infectious material"
is defined as:
        "(1) The following human body fluids: semen, vaginal secretions,
        cerebrospinal fluid, synovial fluid, pleural fluid, pericardial fluid,
        peritoneal fluid, amniotic fluid, saliva in dental procedures, any
        body fluid that is visibly contaminated with blood, and all body
        fluids in situations where it is difficult or impossible to
        differentiate between body fluids;"

Confirmation of the above is provided by "Guidelines for Prevention of
Transmission of HIV and Hepatitis B Virus to Health-care and Public Safety
Workers." A response to P.L100-607, The Health Omnibus Programs Extension Act of
1988. US Dept of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service, Centers for
Disease Control, Atlanta, GA. Feb 1989.  Appendix A states:
        "Universal precautions do not apply to feces, nasal secretions,
        sputum, sweat, tears, urine, and vomitus unless they contain visible
        blood.  The risk of transmission of HIV and HBV from these fluids and
        materials is extremely low or nonexistent."

With this information we plan to remove the biohazard postings and eliminate
the disposal problem associated with biohazardous material.  Thanks

Jamie Mallon CHP
jmallo@sandia.gov
505-844-8287