Re: International regulations and standards

Jean-Michel Mure <Jean-Michel.Mure@andra.fr> wrote:
>I am looking for international regulations and standards concerning
>concentration of radionuclides in foodstuff and drinking water for a normal
>situation and a post-accident situation.

The best single source of international recommendations is a
publication of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA),
Safety Series No. 115-I ("I" for interim), "International Basic
Safety Standards for Protection against Ionizing Radiation and
for the Safety of Radiation Sources."  This publication is a
truly international effort, and it includes the 1990
Recommenations of the ICRP; dose coefficients (sieverts per
becquerel) based on the new ICRP Publication 66 Respiratory Tract
Model, and the ICRP Publication 65 radon [with added thoron] dose
conversion convention.  Age-dependent dose coefficients are
available for ingestion and inhalation for both workers and
public.  These coefficients can be used, along with dose
standards and standard values of intakes, to determine
concentrations of radionuclides in foodstuff and drinking water
under various situations.

IAEA publications are available in France from OFFILIB, 48, rue
Gay-Lussac, F-75240 Paris (V-iŠme) Cedex 05.  Also, you might
contact Mme. A.M. Beau, Soci‚t‚ Fran‡aise de Radioprotection,
B.P. 72, Fontenay-aux-Roses Cedex (1) 46 54 72 85 for specific
information on French regulations.

- Dan Strom dj_strom@pnl.gov

Daniel J. Strom, Ph.D., C.H.P.
Staff Scientist
Health Protection Department K3-56
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
P.O. Box 999
Richland, WA 99352-0999 USA
(509) 375-2626
(509) 375-2019 fax
dj_strom@pnl.gov

These opinions are my own and have not been reviewed by Battelle
or the U.S. Department of Energy.