Re: Ugly Sampling and Analysis Problem

 Been there , done that, couldn't eat for a week.  We did come up with some
 ideas in hindsight.
   1. Freeze the container then open in up and drive a soil type sampler into
      the drum.
   2. If you think some gamma emitters were there, do an external assay.  (we
      had tritiated rats and dogs and some unknowns in mice so this was a no
      go)
   3. Using process knowledge, (we knew the source labs and everything they were
      authorized to use and the limits)  calculate what could probably be in
      the drum.

 We thought of the latter too late to implement.  I have used the latter

 method for guesstimation of what is in disposal cells that we have unearthed
 and shipped to American Ecology.  AE bought off on the methodology and so
 did the state of Washington.  So it can be done.
 From a health and safety point of view, the biohazards from opening and
 sampling the drum far outweigh the benefit of a "scientific" analysis of the
 contents.
 Luke McCormick c0etxlim@mrd42.mrd.usace.army.mil