From:"root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu" <root@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu>
To: Multiple,recipients,of,list,radsafe@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu
Subject: Cs-137 sealed sources

Dear Radsafers -
I'm hoping to get some information about sealed sources of caesium-137 for
therapy and blood/radiobiology irradiators.  It has been suggested that the
recommended leak testing of the integrity of source encapsulation is partly
because of the (chemical) reactivity of caesium.  Can anyone please point
to a reference for leak tests?  eg the time frame of leak testing -
frequency, time lapse to first test after source manufacture, how long
before there might be problems etc - and methods, direct or indirect. (Not
NRC regs or similar which I may not be able to get hold of).  I would also
be interested to hear any anecdotal information about actual leaks if there
have been any. [No, we don't have a suspect source ourselves.]

Jocelyn Towson
Radiation Safety Officer
Royal Prince Alfred Hospital,Sydney.
jtowson@nucmed.rpa.cs.nsw.gov.au