Re: Helicobacter pylori

DAVE GILMORE wrote:

> Hello radsafers,
> I was reading in the paper the other day about the new test for the
> presence of H. pylori (the new cause of ulcers) that wasn't quite
> accepted by the FDA.  The article said only that it involved C-14,
> but combining that with what I remember learning earlier, I think the
> test goes like this:
> The patient probably will get a solution of C-14 urea to drink.  H.
> pylori has a urease which will break this down to ammonia and 14-CO2.
> Is burping induced? I don't know, but a positive test would probably
> be detection of C-14 carbon dioxide from the stomach.
>     Just a friendly question, I guess: you medical folks heard of this
> yet?  Are you ready for it?
>
> David F. Gilmore,
> Assistant Professor of          0  0
> Environmental Biology            __    "have a day"
> Arkansas State University

This was on a show called "Beyond 2000."  The Carbon from the H. Pylori
processes will be in the blood, thus CO2 in the breath.  Well, CO2
obviously is in breath, however, if it is radioactive CO2 (C14) a short
time after drinking the solution - this will indicate that H. Pylori is
responsible for the ulcers.  This is supposedly VERY easy to treat.  If
you ask if burping would be more logical - I doubt it - what if you
burped up some C-14 solution?  From knowlege in Human Physiology, the
theory seems solid.  I just hope my teacher, Dr. Roop, learned me good.
--
Robert A. Jones
2909 B. Prairie Flower Circle

"The Walls have ears and mouths" - Me