Re: Personal Dosimetry for Environmental Operations

     Most commercial dosimetry badges will be able to measure natural
     background, and in turn, identify exposures above these values. Your
     valid requirement as stated, is to measure between 0.1 and 1 mrem. The
     important factor then in over what time are you going to have to
     measure the background to see these values. I would expect that with
     the background levels that exist in your areas, you're talking about a
     short period of time, on the order of days. In my area, our Panasonic
     TLDs measure between 10 and 13 mrem for a 34 day period. Our
     background readings are obviously lower than the Rocky Mountain area.
     Therefore, determine the time period and then chose a dosimeter. I
     have also used Harshaw TLDs and they adequately measure natural
     background as well.. I'll let the film badge and other processors
     address other dosimeters.

     Sandy Perle
     Supervisor Health Physics
     Florida Power and Light Company