UV Tanning

Radsafers:

Thought I would change the subject a bit to the non-ionizing side of the
spectrum.  A relative recently called and asked about the risks associated
with tanning salons.  The pamphlet she was given by the salon indicated the
trade name of tanning system was "Ultra-Bronz" :^).  It goes on to say, the
bulbs only emit UV-A, totally safe, etc., etc.

Anyone out there familiar with studies on UV-A risks that could provide me
some data?  I would also be interested in hearing from our colleagues in the
UK, which I believe regulates tanning salons (unlike the U.S.).  How
reliable are the claims of the manufacturers that the bulbs only emit UV-A?

Unless you think the information you provide is of general interest to all
on RADSAFE, please reply to me at: bobek@.wpi.edu.

Thanks.