Re: UV Tanning

I am one of those strange people who have a hereditary skin condition known
as vitiligo (Michael Jackson has it too).  I like to sail, swim and ski, so
having 2 in. dia. white spots on my face, hands, chest, and feet, that burn
easily is not something I like to deal with.  Therapy for the condition is
as old as Egyptian pyramids.  Take 200 mg of oxorallen ultra and lie/stand
in a tanning bed/booth two times a week for the rest of your life.  (which I
do.  The spots are not gone, but are much smaller--they "seem" less subject
to burning also although I have no model for why this may be true, perhaps
just imagined.)  My dermatologist has cautioned me that the risk I take for
the relief from sun burn on my sailing outings, etc., is increased risk of
skin cancer AND cataract.  The highest risk for cancer is related to the
less vicious kind which can be removed easily if detected early.  As I
understand it, melanoma is not as directly related to UV exposure.  The
incidence of melanoma, the vicious skin cancer, is relatively constant over
the surface of the earth, not just the tropics.  The skin cancer risk can be
lowered by "administrative control."  Don't permit exposure which causes
more than a redness of the skin.  (unfortunately, the maximum redness occurs
on the third day after exposure.)  The greatest risk, by far associated with
UV exposure is the increased risk of cataract.  That is why the tanning
salons insist that you use the little glasses.

So much for the averages.  I have been doing this therapy for 5 years now.
I burn myself past the skin redness level only rarely now.  I use only the
oral application of oxorallen.  Using the topical it was too hard for me to
control the dose and I got blistering if I was the least bit careless in the
application.  If I was not extremely careful to limit the amoun I applied to
the white spots, or if I unknowingly got the topical on my fingers, and then
touched some part of my body not needing the therapy, I got a bad burn on
that location.  I have had one "pre-cancer" removed from my ear.  I have
"just the beginning indications" of cataract.  No one knows if that is
related to the therapy, because my 70 year old mother has had cataract
surgery on both eyes and she hasn't been in the sun seriously since her
youth.  She lived most of her life in Nebraska and the last 20 years in
Arizona.  Who knows.

For me the risk is acceptable.  I like not worrying about sun screen when I
am in the Caribbean or on the ski lift.

For you or your relatives.  To each his own.

>Radsafers:
>
>Thought I would change the subject a bit to the non-ionizing side of the
>spectrum.  A relative recently called and asked about the risks associated
>with tanning salons.  The pamphlet she was given by the salon indicated the
>trade name of tanning system was "Ultra-Bronz" :^).  It goes on to say, the
>bulbs only emit UV-A, totally safe, etc., etc.
>
>Anyone out there familiar with studies on UV-A risks that could provide me
>some data?  I would also be interested in hearing from our colleagues in the
>UK, which I believe regulates tanning salons (unlike the U.S.).  How
>reliable are the claims of the manufacturers that the bulbs only emit UV-A?
>
>Unless you think the information you provide is of general interest to all
>on RADSAFE, please reply to me at: bobek@.wpi.edu.
>
>Thanks.

 DAMcClure@lanl.gov    |        Donald A. McClure
 Voice: 505/667-3243   |  Los Alamos National Laboratory
 FAX: 505/665-3359     | Dynamic Experimentation Division