Transportation by air

One issue that I have not noticed in the posted discussions is that the
airlines have the freedom to ban anything they want, and frequently have
specific prohibitions as part of their rules.  One of these is that virtually
all carriers prohibit hazardous materials from carry on, regardless of
allowances in the DoT rules.  Another that applies both in the carrier rules
and in DoT (although worded slightly differently) is that RAM transported on
passenger aircraft must be for medical or research purposes.  The bottom line
is that personally transporting RAM on a passenger aircraft is prohibited in
all but exceptional circumstances.

I would also suggest that you recall the incidents a few years ago of
aircraft contamination and passenger exposure.  The industry's desired response
was to ban ALL RAM transport via passenger aircraft.  The compromise that
currently exists is just that.  Even with this compromise and the current
rules we have had shipments bumped simply because the captain did not want to
carry RAM.
So I would suggest that while we want to know where the edge of the rules
envelope is it is good policy to be very conservative in your decisions to
send material via passenger air.  With the current coverage of Fed Ex and
Emery (and others) use of passenger aircraft can be minimized to the truly
exceptional situations.

SLABACK@MICF.NIST.GOV  [NBSR Health Physics Group]
    ...a little risk, like a bit of spice, adds flavor to life