Re: Generic Definition of Health Physics to the masses

At 12:33 AM 3/4/96 -0600, Robert Jones wrote:
>...I donn't know for sure if any of you have problems explaining to laymen
>what exactly is a Health Physicist.  In the past, I have simply said that
>it is related to "Nuclear Engineering" or "Nuclear Physics," and they say
>"O.K., yeah!" (As if that would be a more clear definition to laymen).  I
>have spent time pondering a definition, so here goes:
>
>"Health Physics is simply the study of how radiation effects matter.  The
>matter can be tissues in the body or a variety of other materials, such
>as lead for shielding."

Unless you are doing something vastly differrent than me, I would definitely
disagree with your short definition.  I also have been asked the question,
say, a thousand times and simply respond, "radiation safety - I protect
workers, the public, and the environment from unnecessary radiation."  What
you described, in essence, is Radiation Physics, which is a vital component
of what we do; but it does not include the safety aspect, which I consider
to be the most important part.

>If they ask for further information such as what skills are needed to get
>into the field, I will tell them this:  Math, Chemistry, Biology,
>Physics, and Nuclear Physics.

Good start.  Don't forget nuclear engineering and -actual- Health Physics
courses.  I found Public Speaking and Technical Writing to be invaluable
courses, as well.  I think those should be required in the curriculum for
any health physicist.

Scott O. Schwahn, CHP
Operational Health Physicist
Continuous Electron Beam Accelerator Facility
(804)249-7551 (w)
(804)249-7363 (fax)
schwahn@cebaf.gov