Pu-238 Pacemakers -Reply

Albert Lee Vest wrote:

>Are heart pacemakers powered by Pu-238 still manufactured in the
U.S.?

I don't believe so. I believe the last were manufactured in the early
1980s, and quite possibly 1980. At least that's when Cordis stopped
manufacturing them. Design improvements meant batteries could provide
all the power necessary. I'll speculate that the newer battery operated
designs were also smaller than the Pu powered versions.

>Whether they are or not - are the in use in the U.S.?

Yes. These babies were rated for 300 months or so. I understand that
the companies that produced them are required to track the patients.

>When they were/(are) in use - How much Pu-238 is in a pacer unit?

At least one version employed 220 mg of Pu-238, up to 2.8 curies.
Plutonium dioxide.

The info I have is strictly for the Cordis  company which I believe was
the largest manufacturer. The story might be different for other
manufacturers.

Best wishes

Paul Frame
Professional Training Programs