Re: Pu-238 Pacemakers

I'm the new kid on the block here within the Texas Department
of Health's Bureau of Radiation Protection, but here's what I've
picked up from others who've been here longer than I.

Cordis Corporation, Miami Florida, manufactured plutonium-
powered pacemakers from sometime in the 70s to about a year-or-so
ago -- (NRC apparently distributed a notice announcing ceasation
of manufacturing and distribution).

The devices were designated Programmable Nuclear Omni-Stanicor,
Model 184A and were powered by an ATOMCELL power source manufactured
by Nuclear Battery Corporation of Columbia, Maryland.

The fuel utilized in the ATOMCELL was plutonium as PuO2 with the
following composition:

    Pu-238  Greater than 80%
    Pu-236  Less than 0.6 ppm

The maximum number of milligrams of nuclear fuel was less than 225
mgm of plutonium with a maximum number of curies of less than 3.

    (my conversion of 225 mgm results in 3.9 Ci . . . )

Levels of radiation from an ATOMCELL battery were measured and
reported to the USAEC as 7 mrem/hr surface dose rate of a battery
and less than that at the surface of a pacemaker containing the
battery -- evaluation of the radiation level of the "Cordis
Nuclear Omni-Stanicor" indicated a maximum surface dose rate of
5 mrem/hr.

Although Cordis apparently has stopped producing the devices, I am
told that they are still a viable entity and are honoring their
commitment to reclaim the pacemakers when notified that the person
into who the pacemaker was implanted dies -- medical licensees are
required to maintain contact with patients into who Pu-pacemakers
have been implanted.

Pete Myers, Medical and Academic Licensing
pmyers@brc1.tdh.state.tx.us