I-131 Contamination Prevention

To revive an old topic, I have a question on one of the methods some
radsafers mentioned.  Until I actually went thru some dry runs with
nucmed techs preparing rooms for patients with therapy doses of I-131,
some questions I didn't question the procedures.  I have one now.  Some
of you placed a trashbag over the toilet and cut a hole in the bag
letting it barely touch the water.  With the water from the flush flowing
between the toilet and the bag, it would seem to get a tad "schtinky" on
the bag after a patient has a bowel movement.  The techs were also none
to pleased at this prospect and I got several pleading glances my way.
So I ask:
	1.  Has this occurred with anyone?
	2.  How did you dispose of the plastic bag?  Biohazard, no doubt?
	3.  Since it is patient waste, if contaminated does it have to be
stored for decay or not?

Thanks in advance for any clarification on this.  E-mail me directly at
jj.sadler@baylordallas.edu.

Should any of you have a weak tummy and have read this over lunch, sorry
and Bon Appetite'.

JJ

John J. Sadler
Medical Physics
Baylor University Medical Center - Dallas
3500 Gaston Avenue  H-0539
Dallas, TX  75246     (214)820-8516
jj.sadler@baylordallas.edu  --or--  jjsadler@aol.com
Ask not what your country can do for you, move your pooter and do it
yourself!!!!