Re: RO2 ENVIRONMENTAL SPECIFICATIONS

I remember having  problems with RO-2 in drywell environment before, but it
was due to intrusion of radiogas into the ion chamber.  The particulate
daughters of the gas would contaminate the chamber internally, causing a
steady 'false' background to develop.  Assuming you are sure you have
electronic problems as opposed to this, my only advice is to use some other
instrument.  The Bicron ion chambers may be less sensitive due to somewhat
more modern electronics.  BTW the gas problem can be helped somewhat by
bagging the instruments and sealing them thoroughly as you can (if you're
not already doing this).  This will at least extend the period of use.

Keith Welch
CEBAF
welch@cebaf.gov

>FROM KEENANP@DETROITEDISON.COM
>
>HOW DO YOU ADDRESS ENTRIES INTO HIGH TEMPERATURE AREAS OF THE PLANT THAT
>REQUIRE RADIATION MONITORING WITH THE EBERLINE RO2? THE TECHNICAL MANUAL GIVES
>AN UPPER BOUND OF 140 DEGREES F BASED ON THE ELECTRONICS.
>WE HAVE NUMEROUS AREAS IN THE PLANT WITH TEMPERATURES GREATER THAN 140
>DEGREES AND HAVE EXPERIENCED ELECTRONIC FAILURES OF RO2 AFTER FIFTEEN MINUTES
>IN THIS TYPE OF ENVIRONMENT. WOULD APPRECIATE COMMUNICATION ON HOW YOU HANDLE
>THIS ADMINISTRATIVELY OR OTHERWISE. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

KW