Re: X-ray effects on computer disks and other material

X-ray at the levels possible from the devices you asked about have NO effect
on floppy disks!!

BUT ......

Associated with x-ray generating devices are POSSIBLY electromagnetic field
with MAY have an effect.

Since electro-magnetic emmssions are not part of the design criteria for
x-ray machines there is no way to corrolate these emmssions with x-ray
output and I am sure it varies from model to model and most likely with
individual machines.

I can also add that as part of the dosimetry office I often here from out
travelers who put their stuff through airport x-ray machines and have yet to
hear of any data loss to hard drive or floppy - not to say it doesn't or
cannot happen.

Also as a side note I was once queried by a portable computer manufacturer
as to whether or not airport x-rays could erase EPROM data.  It sounded
"possible" so I did some testing and can say that for a 2764 eprom that up
to 1 kR diagnostic energy range x-ray - there is NO effect.