Re: X-ray effects on computer disks and other material

At 02:57 PM 3/6/96 -0600, >Brian J. Wimmer wrote:
>Radsafers,
>
>I'm looking for some information(opinion?)on what effect X-rays have on
>computer (floppy)disks. A cabinet X-ray machine is used to check packages.
>It operates at 80 Kvp. Any info./references on airport X-ray uses would be
>greatly appreciated. .........

Absolutly none (in my humble but honest opinion, supported with a trivial
amount of actual tests to "prove" my opinion) at any dose or dose rate that
I have tried.

The problem ( if any) with airport x-ray machines would be the magnetic
field generated in the drive belt that moves the package through the x-ray
machine.

The second part of the question
>Also, are there any other materials that would be used
>in the academic setting that would be sensitive to this type of X-ray.

Does this mean that you are not as interested in damage to the disk, but in
using it for a monitor of airport x-ray machines?  Most of the newer x-ray
machines give a dose of 10-20 micro r to the package. The dose rate outside
of the machine was not detected on the machines that I surveyed. The
airports seem to have the latest machines to keep up with the latest trends.
The measurement of 80 Kvp can be accomplished with TLD's if they are
calibrated, packaged and exposed properly.
Roy C, Craft
1707 Pecan Street
Bay City Tx 77414
(409)245 9991