X-ray effects on computer disks and other material

To: RADSAFE --INTERNET radsafe@romulus.eh

*** Reply to note of 03/06/96 12:36

In the spirit of the opinion vs information to answer the question about 80
KVp x-rays affecting computer disks (floppies, a:/) I took two disks: one disk
with a file on it and one with an installable program it.
First I installed the program on my computer and tested it out. Then I went
down to our laboratory x-ray unit and exposed the two disks with 1,098 mR. I
measured that with an MDH. After exposing the disks to 1 R, I put each one
back into my computer.  I called up the file and I reinstalled the program.
RESULTS: 1. No change in the file disk at all. 2. The install disk worked fine
and so did the program once it was installed.No change in either disk when
tested before and after the 80 KVp 1R exposure.

Radiation Protection, Ministry of Health, British Columbia
The opinions and material above are solely those of the author.
Disclaimer for postings to bulletin boards, newsgroups, etc.
rnross@bcsc02.gov.bc.ca