Re: X-ray effects on computer disks and other material

   tdc@ehssun.lbl.gov (Ted M. de Castro) wrote:

> Also as a side note I was once queried by a portable
> computer manufacturer as to whether or not airport x-rays
> could erase EPROM data.  It sounded "possible" so I did some
> testing and can say that for a 2764 eprom that up to 1 kR
> diagnostic energy range x-ray - there is NO effect.

Also as a side note:
We occasionally erased EPROMs in ICs (expensive or hard to get
and in plastic case so they could not be erased with UV)
during program development with about 3 to 5 kGy of 300 kV
X-rays without noticable functional degradation.

Robert Nowotny
Dr. Robert Nowotny / noworo1@bmtp.akh-wien.ac.at
Institut f. Biomed. Technik und Physik, Univ. Wien
AKH-4L, Waehringer Guertel 18-20, A-1090 Wien, Austria
Tel.: +43-1-40400-1988; Fax: +43-1-40400-3988