Other "Healthy Worker" Effect Reasons

     Many years ago, I recall reading a lengthy article in Nuclear News
     magazine on this topic. They put forth several possible reasons for
     the "healthy worker effect" that I have not seen mentioned on Radsafe.

     The nuclear industry is, on the whole, much better educated, younger,
     and better paid than the general public, and in fact better than most
     other occupations that deal with potential hazardous substances. This
     makes it very hard to find a suitable 'non-nuclear' comparison group
     for health studies. A group that is better educated, younger, and more
     affluent tends to:

     1. Have a better diet and generally healthier lifestyle, which can
     certainly affect some cancer rates.
     2. Have better medical care, the affects of which are obvious.
     3. Have a lower percentage of smokers, affecting several cancer rates.

     A number of other factors were given that affect the overall health
     condition of nuclear workers compared to other groups, but as I recall
     they were not related to cancer induction, but rather other health
     concerns.

     Steven D. Rima, CHP
     sdrima@sandia.gov