H-3 Exit Signs

     Rick Traub and George Jensen at the Pacific Northwest National
     Laboratory have published a document "Tritium Radioluminescent Devices
     Health and Safety Manual," PNL-10620 (June 1995) which contains
     recommendations for response to broken lights.

     You might contact Rick for a copy (509) 373-5196.

     My own experience deals with a internal dosimetry for a light that was
     discovered to be leaking (it got dimmer) while stored in a
     researcher's office or lab.  It's been 7 or 8 years so the details are
     fuzzy.  My recollection was that something like 70 curies of elemental
     tritium was in the light, spread out over several tubes.  Bioassay of
     the affected workers showed very small doses - maybe a few mrem (<10
     mrem CEDE).  The elemental nature tends to suggest that lung dose
     would be the highest, however the presence of even a small amount of
     HTO will result in that being the limiting dose.

     You're welcome to call me or e-mail me if you have specific questions.

     Gene Carbaugh
     eh_carbaugh@pnl.gov
     Internal Dosimetry
     Pacific Northwest National Laboratory