Re: H-3 Exit Signs

Jeff Mueller wrote:

>Has anyone out there had the joy of dealing with a significantly damaged
>(i.e., internal tubes smashed open by an overzealous hard-hat type) H-3 exit
>sign in a heavily trafficked area, such as a university library?
>
>We're trying to convince our Facilities Department that these signs could be
>more trouble than they are worth.

I believe in Australia we were saved from these things by a national
standard which ruled them out on the grounds that they had insufficient
luminance.  Australian Standard AS 2293.1-1987 [Emergency evacuation
lighting in buildings] specifies the required brightness.  If you call ANSI
they should be able to direct you to a US equivalent.

Michael Williamson
                                        ph +61 7 3365 4504
Radiation Protection Adviser            fax +61 7 3365 1577
Occupational Health & Safety Unit       m.williamson@mailbox.uq.edu.au
University of Queensland
Brisbane 4072
Australia