Re: H-3 Exit Signs

Scott Crail wrote:

> Back when I was an undergrad(several years now), I assisted the rad safety
> department at Cal Poly Pomona install the H3 exit signs there.  Aside
> from the initial wipe they seemed fine.  I think I remember that each
> letter is a seperate sealed container, so it would take an effort to get
> them all.  The risk they pose is mainly internal, so unless that
> overzealous hardhat type suddenly got thirsty, even a broken one shouldnt be too bad.  Plus compare them to the risks
> associated with with battery operated (acid spills) or generator operated
> (fires, ect) before you decide.  If you want to talk to someone who has
> been dealing with them for a while call Dave Patterson over at Cal Poly's
> Environmental Health Dept.
>
> Scott Crail
> Grad Student, OSU
> crail@engr.orst.edu
>
> On Wed, 27 Mar 1996, Jeff Mueller wrote:
>
> > Has anyone out there had the joy of dealing with a significantly damaged
> > (i.e., internal tubes smashed open by an overzealous hard-hat type) H-3 exit
> > sign in a heavily trafficked area, such as a university library?
> >
> > We're trying to convince our Facilities Department that these signs could be
> > more trouble than they are worth.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >

> >   Jeffrey S. Mueller, M.S., CHP                  E-mail = jmueller@ucla.edu
> >   UCLA Radiation Safety Office                Telephone = 310/206-8204
> >   1010 Veteran Avenue, 2195 WMB                     FAX = 310/206-9051
> >   Box 951765                                      Pager = 800/233-7231 #93565
> >   Los Angeles, CA 90095-1765
> > <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Also look at the risk of not having an exit sign visible when power is
out, say during a fire, with poor maintenance (not checking backup power
supplies for the electric ones) possiblities.  I would imagine a one-time
wipe test (after installation or even after any major building refit)
would be enough to establish that the tritium signs are safe.  (when you
compare all the risks)
--
Robert A. Jones
2909 B. Prairie Flower Circle