Re: H-3 Exit Signs

Question:

Would your State or Federal regulatory agency require you
to clean up an area contaminated by tritiated phosphors from an
extensively damaged exit sign?  I'll bet they would make you treat this
like any other contamination incident.  So far, the opinions that have been
voiced on RADSAFE about the use of these signs are based on health
effects.

What would be the cost of decontaminating a library (removal of carpet
or tile, dispose of contaminated material as rad waste, man-hours etc.)
from a damaged tritium sign?

What about the PR problems - like closing the library to the public for a
period of time?  I believe these concerns should also weigh into the
decision about whether to use the signs.

Dan Zurosky
University of South Carolina

dzurosky@moore.admin.sc.edu