Re: Controlled Areas

>Date: Tue, 2 Apr 1996 19:55:33 -0500
>From: Ragreen1@aol.com
>Subject: Re: Controlled Areas
>
>The difference between the areas is best understood by keeping one main fact
>in mind, the definitions deal only with radiation protection and have nothing
>to do with security, traffic control or any thing else.
>
>Second, picture the   restricted area    as the area where strict radiation
>safety controls apply.(example RWP needed, or dosimetry needed etc.)
>Surrounding this area may
>repeat may be a   controlled area   under the conrol of the licensee ( NRC
>speak here). Surrounding this is the unrestricted area, not under the control
>of the licensee, a public road, beach or whatever.
>
>The restricted area and the controlled area may be the same physical area.
>The boundary of the unrestricted area is the important one as all the
>effluent regulations apply at that magic line.
>

>If this helps, I take full credit; if it confuses you further, I must have
>hit send instead of delete.
>
>Regis A. Greenwood, C H P
>ragreen1@aol.com
>         OR
>ragreen1@ix.netcom.com
>
>------------------------------

A picture may be helpful:

	-------------Site Boundary--------
	|                                |
Unrestricted Area                        |
	|	---------------------    |
	|	|  Controlled Area  |    |
	|	|                   |    |
	|	|  ---------------  |    |
	|	|  | Restricted   | |    |
	|	|  |   Area       | |    |
	|	|  ---------------- |    |
	|	|                   |    |
	|	---------------------    |
	|                                |
	----------------------------------

Please note that the Controlled area is like a donut where the
outside is Unrestricted area and the center hole is the Restricted
area. Also note that the controlled area can have zero size.

See 10 CFR 20.1003 Definitions
	Controlled area means an area, outside of a restricted area
	but inside the site boundary, access to which can be limited
	by the licesnsee for any reason.

	Restricted area means an area, access to which is limited by
	the licensee for the purpose of protecting individuals against
	undue risks from exposures to radiation and radioactive
	materials. Restricted area does not include areas used as
	residential quarters, but separate rooms in a residential
	building may be set apart as a restricted area.

	Unrestricted area means an area, access to which is neither
	limited nor controlled by the licensee.

William R. Webber, Health Physicist (Warp Factor OS/2, connect)
The opinions expressed above are those of the author alone
and do not represent those of the National Institute of
Standards and Technology nor the US Department of Commerce.
E-mail: wwebber@nist.gov