Re: IH/HP question

On Thu, 4 Apr 1996, Nolan Hertel wrote:

> As an educator interested in producing a professional with the greatest
> flexibility in the present job market (or lack of it), would it be better
> for to hire a health physicist and have them learn the IH side of the job
> or to hire an IH who has to learn the HP side of the job?

I am an instructor of both undergraduate and graduate Industrial Hygiene
students in their only course in health physics.  As such, on the first
day of class I discuss level of the course goals which includes the
expectations of professional industrial hygienists.

IH professionals should NOT attempt to evaluate or interpret relative
radiation hazards at complex or " multiple hazard sites"  Examples
include: diagnostic radiology facilities, radiopharmaceutical applications
in hospitals, nuclear reactors (duh), gamma sterilization facilities, etc.
IH's should have the expertise to evaluate simple or "single hazard sites"
such as:  density thickness gauges, electron beam welding, ECDs, tracer
isotope facilities, etc.  As a reference see the paper in the American
Industrial Hygiene Journal (40) 8, 1979, by Frank O. Brown, Jr.

With additional education, I have confidence that many of my former
students would do well as HPs.

> >I would like to add another problem that I have observed in the past
> >few years.  A hospital, a university or any institution in the industrial
> >sector requires that a person fill the position of RSO, but there is also
> >a need for a "safety" person to conduct all other safety operations.
> >Thus, an Industrial Hygenist is hired, having very little knowledge of
> >Health Physics.

A RSO at a hospital must have 1 year work experience under the RSO at a
hospital, and at a university with a broad scope license, the NRC has a
subjective requirement which permits them to judge whether the proposed
RSO has sufficent training and experience for the licensed activities.
Therefore, these hiring decisions must meet regulatory muster as well as
save money.

Kent Lambert, CHP
LAMBERT@hal.hahnemann.edu

These are my thoughts.  If they are wrong
I accidentally pressed the send instead of
the delete key.  My employer makes no claim
to endorse my opinions.